June 26, 2011

Growing up is awesome because I haven't really changed



I still have a little of the gothic teenager Jill in me, who wore nothing but black and listened to Smashing Pumpkins for about 7 years. When I hear voices inside my head it is usually from 16-year-old-me. She was pretty fierce so I try to appease her ;)
Rene Arnez makes ONLY black dresses.. this one's pretty classy, and even more so with the f-holes belt, also handmade, from Contrived to Charm.  The Smashing Pumpkins phase was kind of overlapped by an equally long Rasputina phase, and I love that I am still influenced by both.

Kim's Jewels makes rings out of glass doll eyes~ I've been wearing this for a long time now and its still freaking people out :)
Flying Bird Botanicals speaks to my heart in every way possible, mixing flowers and herbs into raw heirloom cacao. I want to try the rose vanilla next. I swear this is as good as the packaging looks.

A lovely lady sent me a link to this shop, Broomchick, and I freaked out. After some hard decision making I got this one and the black kitchen broom, and they are gorgeous! It is details like having a badass handmade broom that make a home feel like it has a soul of its own.

5 comments:

  1. Ah these are all lovely and very you! Even your shop's name speaks of the uncommon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I still have a little of the gothic teenager Jill in me, who wore nothing but black and listened to Smashing Pumpkins for about 7 years."

    Oh man. ME TOO! This was totally me in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title of your blog post so resonates with me. It is absolutely true for me too. At 29, I still don't feel like an adult but I get to do whatever I want! Being an "adult" is rockin. Love the broom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm checking out Flying Bird Botanicals now! I'm just coming to terms with growing up and realizing that I don't have to change who I am just to suit a professional stereotype. Always lovely reading your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. While not a teen goth, I too go out of my way to appease my inner 16 year old and try to lead the grown-up life she would want. Its very important to me. My 16 year old self thought she would be an actress. That did not happen. I grew out of it by the time I reached my first year of college. But I like to imagine her coming to one of my art shows, and rifling through my closet and meeting my boyfriend and she would still think I had a pretty cool life.

    ReplyDelete