September 29, 2011

Beetlejuice

This movie came out when I was five years old and I'm pretty sure I have seen it a hundred times since then. When I was younger I really identified with Lydia Deetz (and looked a lot like her too) but now I am starting to realize how much I am like Delia too (only not so high strung)

This is me when I was 16:


I realize now that in college my sculptures were reminiscent of Delia's sculptures. I definitely didn't do it on purpose, I guess the childhood influence just kind of rubbed off on me. I remember bringing my artwork to my parents house at the end of the year and they said, "well I guess we could put them in the attic". I was SO offended.

My sculptures:



Delia's Sculptures:


And now I am at that age where I feel the need to express myself through home decor, because somehow putting my creative energy into my work isn't enough; I want to be completely surrounded and immersed in my strangeness. Delia has a very eloquent way of saying this so I will let her do the talking-



7 comments:

  1. I love that movie too!Your sculpture looks very functional. Those fork hands could be great for serving Hors d'oeuvres!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I love your sculptures! Those are FANTASTIC!!! I've identified with Lydia for years. I, too, am strange and unusual...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beetlejuice is such a good movie! I actually like your sculptures alot! Especially the one that looks like a fire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so identify with this post, I remember the first time I saw it (I was six when it came out and watched it on tape at my friends house as her uncle had rented it). I was obsessed and still am, I remember asking my Mum if I could be like lydia. Your art is amazing very reminicent of Delias!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was definitely a Lydia in my early teen years (it was even a nickname at one point) but it's so interesting to see parts of Delia in oneself as well. Amusing and fun post indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny, I was just saying to my partner the other day that we should download Beetlejuice (he doesn't remember it!). I haven't seen it for years and years and am so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sculptures. Bettlejuice is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete